Centre for Science and Environment (CSE) carried out an analysis of the EIA of expansion of Gujarat Pipavav Port located in the Gulf of Cambay. The analysis was requested by a Gujarat based NGO called Paryavaran Mitra.
Questions to be asked:
1. The port has been in operation for 10 years now. Has water sprinkling for dust suppression
helped in the past? Or is still a major problem in the area?
2. Why is fresh water required for sprinkling operation? Especially when sea water is easily
available and since the EIA report itself recognise the area as water stressed.
3. The present port is causing pollution of surface water sources due to run off from storage
piles, during transportation, etc. How will this be stopped in future? If concretisation of
channels and storage area is seen as the solution, why was this not resorted to earlier?
4. How does the port company plan to sort out the grazing land issue? The farmers may agree
to a rent sharing agreement by the company, is that an option the company will be open to?
5. Considering there has not been any change in the unemployment situation in the study area
since the port has been operational, what sort of employment opportunities will the
6. The environmental clearance granted to the port in June 2000 states that the mangroves in
the project area are not to be disturbed. However, the local NGO claims, mangroves in the
area have been cut. Since natural surface vegetation in addition to mangroves add as a
natural shield against natural disasters like cyclones, removing them can have damaging
consequences. This also means violation of an clearance condition laid down by the MoEF.
Thus there may be more violations of this kind.
7. Since there is a clear decline in fish catch, what wort of compensation package has been and
will be made available to the fishing community in the region?
8. The port has been served a number of show cause notices in the past for violating conditions
related to environmental clearance. What sort of compliance record can we expect from the expansion now?